This is the ultimate creamy mac ‘n cheese. I don’t mess around about this glorious food item, so believe me when I tell you to look no further. I’m a true mac ‘n cheese snob so I wouldn’t put this out there if I didn’t truly think you’d love it too. If you like Panera’s version, this will be right up your alley! Plus, it’s a one pot stop and can be made in under 30 minutes – so a win all around. This will serve 4-6 people as a side dish (approximately one cup per serving) or 2-3 people as a main dish.
Okay enough talking, let’s get cookin’!
- 2 cup macaroni (or your preferred pasta)
- 1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8 oz. cream cheese (usually same as whole block)
- 2 cup Colby and Monterey Jack shredded cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (less if you’re not crazy about pepper).
What You’ll Need
- Cook macaroni according to instructions on box (you can use the same pot for the sauce too if you’re not in a rush and want to save dishes). Drain in colander and set aside.
- Melt butter in the pot over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk until it emits a nutty fragrance (about 2-3 minutes).
- Pour in milk. Let it get frothy and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Check it and stir frequently so the milk doesn’t burn.
- Add cream cheese and shredded cheese slowly until melted, whisking after each addition.
- Pour in cooked macaroni.
- Add salt and pepper.
Enjoy friends, see ya next time!